Thursday, January 21, 2010

MY TENTH BIRTHDAY PARTY



Birthdays were and still are an extra special time for our family. Although we don't get together for each others special day as we did in the past.
I believe this is a party for my tenth birthday.  My Mom always made my birthdays extra special. Great Grandma could not drive, she would get someone to bring her and Nanny to all our parties.  We had cake, chips, nuts, and butter mints. Our beverage may have been Kool-Aid and/or soft drinks. If i remember correctly after the party my Grandmother told Aunt Lynn and I we had to clean up the party stuff. I thought why do i have to clean up after my party. Of course you never said no. That was not an option. So Lynn and I go outside to clean up. It's dark, the only light is the back porch light. As we are cleaning we hear something. Like a rustle in the trees. We would listen, look around but never see anything. Cleaning continues, we hear the noise again. It's now a rustle and a moan! It's coming fom the tree next to the picnic table. We are so scared, we run like heck. "Mom there's something out there we shout. "Oh there's nothing out there' she said. We are too frightened to go back and finish our job. Aunt Lynn and I go into the living room. My Grandfather comes out of the bedroom, breathless and sweating. "What's wrong" he asked as he struggles to catch his breath. We tell him what happened. I think my Grandmother finished cleaning up.
It wasn't until years later that i realized it was my Grandfather up in the tree! He loved to play jokes on people. At the time it wasn't very funny to us. Now that i look back, i chuckle at the extent my Grandfather would go for a laugh. Life was never dull when he was around.

Let's get this party started!











Uncle Karl and daughter. I think the baby is my cousin Gina

The birthday girl on the left and..........



3 comments:

  1. I remember Daddy playing that joke on you all. I thought he came out of the bushes with a white sheet to make himself look like a "ghost". Is this right or was this another time he played a joke on you all? I think that girl beside you was the daughter of a friend of Rachel's. I remember who they are. This is a good post and love the blog!!! Too Funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sheet was another time. I think daddy put on that striped grey quilted blanket. You could not see his face only the quilt. He must have been sweating profusely! He blended in with the tree.

    ReplyDelete